Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Taxes

The taxes were turned into Rod the accountant yesterday. Hopefully we will know something before the end of the week. I'm anxious to start paying off the house again after we know what we owe to the IRS. The balance of the Vanguard account is now at the 26,900 range. So as long as we don't owe more than 16,900 between the Feds, the State, and the estimates, we can get to work on paying off the house again as soon as we get paid in February. If we don't know before the 28th, then the 3000 from the paychecks will go into the Vanguard account and probably push the balance over 30K as long as we get one more Paypal payment from WorldWinner.

The other thing that will be ugly is when we do pay the taxes in April. It will take a big hit on the net worth spreadsheet. In the future, once we know what the estimates will be, I play on dividing the amount out evenly over the three months so that the tax payment will be taken into the account at the end of each month for the net worth spreadsheet. I'm still hoping, even taking taxes into account, that we can still increase the net worth somewhere around 3% per month.

I did have a slight set back Friday, but Susan stopped me. I was ready to order Dish. I find it difficult to stay on task when it doesn't feel like we are paying anything off or accumulating anything. Yes, this will make it difficult once we pay off everything, but then we will be saving for a new house as well as saving for retirement. I do still want to get Dish after we pay off the house, but I can wait until that happens.

2 comments:

Susan said...

I'm pretty sure I was the one going through the budget trying to find places to move money to pay for Dish! I didn't stop you from getting it, I just pointed out that we had to find room for it in the current budget. I'm really not the budget czar!

Greg said...

No, you just helped me to stay on target. That's all!!! Never claimed you were the budget czar. Pretty sure I'm the only one with it on a laptop....